THE PURPOSE OF DISCIPLESHIP
Dicipleship has a purpose and the purpose of discipleship is to be like the discipler. The purpose therefore for Christian discipleship is to be like Christ. Discipleship is a mentoring or training program designed to develop individuals to become more like their savior.
- To emulate the character of Christ (1 Peter 2:21)
- To learn about the Father and Grow in our Knowledge of God (John 6:45)
- Bearing fruit for the kingdom of God (John 15:8, 8:12, Matthew 5:14-16)
THE NEED FOR HUMAN DISCIPLERS
Paul said in 1 Corinthians 11:1, “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ”. Human disciplers are people who have grown so deep in their walk with God. On the other hand those who are disciple have a relationship with Jesus, but there is a need for disciplers to talk to about struggles, victories and ideas. You must know the following about human disciples. (1 Thessalonians 1:6)
- Your discipler must be a person constantly following Jesus
- The Degree to which your discipler follow Jesus is the degree you should follow.
- When he/she stops following Jesus, then discipleship should end between the two of you.
- One person is not enough to be your discipler.
THE PRINCIPLES OF DISCIPLESHIP (Colossians 1:28-29)
- The heart of discipleship: The heart of discipleship is to proclaim Jesus, but there is always temptation for self proclamation.
- The means of discipleship: The means of discipleship is warning and teaching with all wisdom, but always tempted to people pleasing and harshness.
- The goal of discipleship: The goal discipleship is to present everyone perfect (matured) in Christ, tempted towards fulfilment
- The cost of Discipleship: The cost of Discipleship is toil and struggles always tempted towards idolizing and ease of life
- The power of discipleship: The power of discipleship is God’s Energy tempted toward dependence in flesh.
THE COST OF DISICIPLESHIP (Luke 14:26-33)
- We must hate our families and ourselves (Luke 14:26)
- We must carry our own cross (Luke 14:27; 9:23; Romans 12:14)
- We must give up all our possessions (Luke 14:33; 16:13; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
- Do you have disciplers?
- Do you have disciples?
- List 10 Examples of Disciple-Discipler relationship in the scriptures.
- List 5 examples of disciples disciples relationship in the world today
- Why do people not have human disciplers anymore.