BIBLE PASSAGE: Psalm 95:1-11
MEMORY VERSE: In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you” 1 Thessalonians 5:18
As we study this Psalm, we will see that it addresses a basic flaws of mankind, which is the attitude of ‘I did it ,I deserve it’ rather than ‘I’m thankful for it’. How does this psalm help us not to return to our old, ungrateful ways?
- GOD IS THE SOURCE
- GOD IS MY SOURCE
- THANKSGIVING IS MY CHOICE
GOD IS THE SOURCE (VS 1-5): God is the source of all things. He created them all (Psalms 24:1-2). Even the things that we achieve by our own efforts are based on gifts and power provided by God (Deuteronomy 8:18; 1 Chronicles 29:11-12; James 1:17). If we forget or do not acknowledge this, the results include the following:
- CONFLICT WITH GOD: We will think life is about what we acquire or receive while God says life is about what we give away (Luke 12:15; Proverbs: 11:24, Acts 20:35)
- FEAR FOR LIFE: IF God is my provider then I can be rest assured. If, however I am my own provider, my provision depends on my not failing. Only God NEVER fails.(Zephaniah 3:5)
- UNGRATEFULNESS: If I am the provider ,then why should I thank anybody? (Luke 12 :16- 20)
GOD IS MY SOURCE (VS.6-7): Human can create computers that respond to thousands simultaneously, giving each the impression of exclusive control. God can do so much more, because He is my shepherd. His care for me is unique (Matthew 10:29-31). He even has a special name reserved for me that will be known only to the two of us (rev 2:17)
THANKSGIVING IS MY CHOICE: My choice is thanksgiving because thankful people:
- Choose to focus on the positive and not the negatives of life
- Find a way to turn negatives into positives. They realize that God really does cause all things to work together for good. The furnace may be uncomfortable but the product is beautiful (Romans 8:28,Job 23:10).
- Look for the best In the world around them. Often you find exactly what you are looking for- Psalm 8:3-4, Psalms 19:1-3
- Are grateful for what they have and do not focus on what they want-Romans 1:18-23
- Know that life is all about God. If anyone helps us it is because God decides he should and if otherwise, it’s God’s decision. Saul and his servant decided to go to prophet Samuel in search of his father’s lost asses whereas God had earlier told Samuel the previous day that he would send Saul to Samuel-1 Samuel 9: 5-16.God has his purpose for allowing situations or challenges in our lives John 9:1-7. Jesus knew when Lazarus died –John 11:11-14- but He did not rush to go and raise him up from the dead.
- Know that our situation will not change God. He remains God in spite of our situations. He can change all situations but nothing changes Him. The response of Jesus Christ to john the Baptist’s message while in prison was that Jesus performed some miracles. What a great lesson that we should thank Him in all situations
If we can take stock of situations at anytime, we will discover that the best thing to do is to make thanksgiving part of our everyday life and not an occasional ceremony . If we can count our blessings and name them one by one ,it will surprise us what the lord has done. You too can choose a life of thanksgiving. You have a choice.