TEXT: JOHN 3:1-10
ALL men are born dead. This statement may seem unreal but looking spiritually, we find out that a life without Christ is dead i.e. separated from God who is the essence of life. There is therefore a need for regeneration; hence a new birth.
A. What is the state of a natural man?
- Separated from God. Ephesians 2:12
- Dead in sin. Ephesians 2:1; Colossians 2:13.
- Enslaved by sin. John 8:34; Romans 6:16.
- Open to satanic and demonic influences. Colossians 1:13.
B. What happens at rebirth?
- He becomes a new creature. II Corinthians 5:17.
- He is made alive with Christ. Ephesians 2:4-5.
- His sins are forgiven and he is cleansed. I John 1:7-9; Colossians 1:14.
- He is adopted into God’s family. Colossians 1:13-14; Romans 8:15-16.
- He has the Holy Spirit as a seal. Romans 8:14-16; Ephesians 1:13-14.
C. Assurance of salvation.
- How do I know I am born again ? (a) Joy in the lord, Romans 5:10-11 (b) Peace/ rest. Matt. 11:28-30 (c) The Spirit’s witness. Romans 8:16.
- How would people know I am born again? (a) Love for the brethren. John 15:9-13; I John 3:16. (b) Continuity in the word. John 8:31. (c) Bearing good fruit. Matt 7:16-20; 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12; Galatians 5:22-23.
- How can I be born again?
Being born of God is the greatest thing that can happen to a man. It is the work of the Holy Spirit in man but in response to a will of acceptance.
Are you born again? Describe your salvation experience. Are there ways by which you are confused about your salvation? How can you overcome the doubts